terça-feira, janeiro 06, 2009

.I wish I didn't have the urge to please

In a normal cold february friday night at downtown champaign I would start the warm up at the esquire (that's a local pub, where the local people usually meet to have some beers) drinking some Corona's and eating peanuts with the spanish crowd. I would wait Fabi's phone call and usually I would meet her at Boltini's to have some cocktails, listen to an europeiiiish kind of music and hang out in a more sophisticated environment (kind of........) and then I would probably stop by Blind Pig to have a beer or two and more likely I would end up at Mike and Molly's (the cool pub...) dancing the old school songs with the usual crowd...

One day, while I was in between one of these bars, my phone rang. it was mike with a sad voice: hey Ines? wassup? What r u up to?

Me: well... I'm at Boltini's. Do u wanna come up?
M.: Well I think I'm not in the mood...
Me: Wassup...???
M.: I wasn't accepted in the Paris University program and the thing I want the most is to get out of here and go to paris.
Me: I'm so sorry... But can't you apply for some other time?
M.: Yeah... but I wanted to go right now.
Me: ...hmm... What can I do for you, you want me to come up to your place?
M.: ok!
Me: I'll call you when I'm done with the bars... Bye!

So I drank a few more drinks (and that's what I did the most in downtown Champaign, to drink lots of alcohol) and when I was finally kind of pleased I told mike, that lived two blocks away from the bars that I would stop by his place.

The wind was blowing strong and it was bringing ice crystals with it. I remember it very well... It cut my skin like small razors and my clothes were ice-petrified! Nevertheless I walked to his place... When I got there, I called him. No answer. I called him again, his lights were on. No answer. And the wind kept blowing and bringing those ice blocks to my clothes, to my face but I kept calling... and he kept not answering.

I went home. Late that night I got a sms: I fell asleep. I'm so sorry, seriously!

I didn't apologize and in fact I thought that it was so rude and outrageous that I never spoke to him again. I knew that he probably drank so much and smoked some stuff that made him fall asleep but god damn it, it was damn freezing!

Now he's in Paris and he wants to come here. He'll come and I don't feel confortable to receive him. In fact I'm concerned with the fact that his need of allienation can be somehow inadequate.

But I have to be the nicest person to everybody so his request pushed me into the place I know the best: to be nice and to please!

Suddenly, he's really coming and suddenly I'm feeling so stupid!

Sem comentários: